Gender-creative children may encompass other titles such as gender non-conforming, gender fluid, or non-binary. Essentially these children reject expected gender stereotypes and typical gender roles. That’s why gender therapy in San Diego is beneficial for children who identify as such.
Gender-creative children may question their gender identity, but they are not necessarily transgender. They may embrace both feminine and masculine qualities equally, and nothing is off-limits. Your child may equally love playing with dolls, dressing up as a princess, and playing in the dirt with trucks.
How to Support Your Gender-Creative Child:
- Follow your child’s lead and give them space to explore what feels good to them and makes them happy. Provide them with opportunities to express themselves freely in both genders.
- Allow them to make their own choices, whether with clothing and hairstyle choices or toys and activities. Show your support by praising your child’s creativity and diversity, which can help foster strong and healthy self-esteem.
- Ask questions to show support. Allow your child to discuss their experience of their gender identity. Try open-ended questions such as “Tell me more about this.” Let your child take the lead on these conversations and ask what they need from you as far as support.
- Respect your child by using the pronouns and names they have requested. You may make mistakes, but correct yourself and try again. Your child will appreciate your effort and be patient and understanding if they see you are trying. Correct pronoun usage is vital to the overall support of your transgender child.
- Finally, educate yourself. It is fine to ask your child questions to understand their personal experience, but it is not your child’s job to educate. Learn the different terminology regarding sex and gender.
Using Gender Therapy in San Diego to Help You & Your Child Build A Strong Relationship
If your child could benefit from gender therapy then we are here for them. Our therapists specialize in providing a safe and supportive environment for gender-creative children to explore their identities. Learn more or schedule an appointment by following these steps:
- Reach out with any questions or schedule an appointment online
- Start getting support for your gender-creative child at Family Connections Therapy
- Give your child the support and tools necessary to express themselves authentically
Other Counseling Services Offered in San Diego, CA
We offer more than just gender therapy services for families and children. We also offer individual therapy for adults, teens, and couples. This includes depression treatment, anxiety treatment, and more! Additionally, we offer high-conflict parenting classes and social skills classes for kids. All of these services are available both in person at our San Diego-based practice and online throughout California.