The Fourth of July is a great way to spend quality time with your family and bond with each other. Last year, the holiday looked different due to the COVID-19 virus. However, now that vaccines have come out and lockdowns are lifted, you may be wondering what fun, safe things can you do with your child this holiday?
Fun Activities for the Fourth of July!
- Spend the day at the beach or on a lake! Enjoy the sunshine during the day and beautiful fireworks at night! Kids and parents alike can enjoy the outdoors while spending quality time together as a family.
- Host a backyard barbecue. Grilling is always a fun way to celebrate the holiday, invite some friends or family over and get cooking!
- Have a game night with your kids! You may want to stay home and spend time with your family alone this year. Make the most of it with games, crafts, and treats! Pinterest is a great resource for finding an abundance of DIY crafts, American-themed treats, and unique games to play as a family.
- Curl up with your kiddo(s) on the couch to watch a movie. Holidays can be a relaxing time to spend the day resting and enjoying the company of your family. If you don’t feel like hosting a holiday gathering, pick your family’s favorite movie and order pizza!
All of the activities listed above are a great way to spend the Fourth of July as a family and reconnect with your kiddos. Life can be hectic, but spending quality time with your kids makes all the difference in the world! With those ideas in mind, here are some great ways to ensure safety for the whole family over the holiday.
Safety Tips for the Holiday
- Have a designated meeting location. The fourth can be filled with chaotic events, crowded beaches, and busy parking lots. Be sure to monitor your child’s location at all times and have a designated meeting spot if they do go into the water, grab food or play around the area.
- Stay cool, drink water, and use sunscreen! The Fourth of July can be a long and hot holiday if you spend the day and night outside. Make sure to drink plenty of water and re-apply sunscreen every few hours!
- Don’t let your children get a hold of fireworks or sparklers. Store any fireworks or sparklers in a cool, dry place if in possession of them and make sure they are out of reach. The Fourth of July can be filled with fun but dangerous items that are unsafe for children. If you are assisting a child with sparklers, s’mores, etc., be sure to use supervision and have water nearby for safety.
- Practice water safety. Make sure to go to a designated place for swimming and have a lifeguard. Especially at a crowded lake or beach, you will want to keep an eye on your children when they are swimming!
Our team at Family Connections Therapy hopes you have a spectacular Fourth of July, and we hope you are able to spend quality time with your family. Stay safe and healthy!
We’re Here To Help
If you or your child are having trouble connecting or bonding over the holidays, we are here for you! We can help you and your child develop the skills necessary to flourish and grow healthy relationships. Contact us today to learn more! Request an appointment online or call our office today at (858) 776-8804.