It can be challenging to maintain a stress-free lifestyle, especially in the current state of the world. We often find ourselves blowing off self-care for more “important” things, like work or other commitments, when in reality we should be putting self-care at the top of our priority list. But worry not, I’ve put together a list of suggestions for stress relieving self-care you can practice at home.
Simple Self-Care & Stress Relief
Here are some ways you can relieve stress by making simple lifestyle changes without taking too much time out of your day:
- Do a minute of mindfulness when you first wake up and right before you go to bed. This can be as simple as taking deep, slow breaths and thinking what you can hear, see, and feel around you.
- Take time throughout the day to list what you’re grateful for, either in a journal, on a piece of paper, or just in your head.
- Go on a mindfulness walk. It doesn’t have to be too long, brief ones can be effective too. Admire the nature around you and take in all the sights and sounds of the world.
- Indulge in a brief workout once a day and try to do a longer exercise session once a week.
- A big key to reducing stress is to get at least seven to nine hours of sleep a night, so make sure you’re getting plenty of rest.
- Use essential oils, for example lavender, when working at home or in an office. Inhaling lavender, chamomile, and any essential oil that you enjoy can calm your nervous system down when trying to perform a task.
- Keep a journal or diary for your racing thoughts or a log of things that tend to stress you out. Then, try to limit time dedicated to these things or plan to de-stress after you need to do them.
- Participate in yoga or take the time to do stretches in the morning after you wake up.
- Meditate for a few minutes each day.
- Participate in activities for fun that don’t include work or studying, for example, taking an art class or learning a new skill.
- Putting on moisturizing face masks and taking hot baths are great ways to release pent up stress and give yourself a little love.
- In stressful situations, take a few seconds to remove yourself from the moment and deep breathe until your mind is at ease.
- Close your eyes and visualize a calming situation when anxious or stressed.
- Be sure to make time for socializing and hanging out with loved ones. This is enjoyable and lowers stress.
- Listen to music, turn on your favorite tunes, and let the stress flow out of you.
- Brew some calming tea and enjoy it while reading or doing an activity that calms you down.
- Try painting or another creative activity (even if you’re not the most artistic).
- Eat healthy and balanced meals to ensure prime brain activity.
- Make schedules to manage your time better to ensure a lower level of stress.
- Put down your phone/screen an hour before you want to fall asleep to ensure that you get a good night’s sleep, as blue light can affect the quality of your sleep.
- Lastly, analyze your stress to see if it’s situational or something that is constant and won’t stop, figuring this out is the key to seeing if you need to seek more help to combat stress.
Stay Safe, Healthy & Stress-Free
Taking time out of your day to do one or more of these activities or making simple changes to your lifestyle can be very liberating and significantly improve your mental health. Never forget to put your mental and emotional health on the top of your priority list. Taking care of yourself is the key to having a good and happy life.
Don’t forget, Family Connections Therapy has knowledgeable and friendly counselors who can help you with stress and other struggles. You can call them or get in touch using their online form to learn more.